Back to the Animation Tool

While working on the first tech demo, I realized I need some new animation data and decided this was the best point to retool the animation editor I had made for my SGP class. The editor fundamentally worked but the code was so garbled up and laid out in a very unfriendly format that I decided to take some of it and move it into a new project. I did some retooling with the buttons and got the basic components working again. It'll take at least 1-2 more days to get it back up and running but the new version is so far a lot friendler then old one to debug!

I've been learning that UI programming can be very tough. There are so many special cases that it can be hard to find a good design that will fit em all and allow you to add more features if you need too. I went with a really basic state system which really breaks down to a few switch statements running behavior in certain spots (Mouse Down events, Mouse Move events, etc). I find that UI stuff can be the most challenging to design since its the most noticeable by the user and they will call you out on everything wrong with it.

No comments: