Still Pumping

Been getting lots of good stuff done while in Wisconsin. In between gorging myself on delicious home-cooked meals, I've been doing a lot of research into Memory Management and come up with some useful stuff. First off is a heap tracker for recoring all dynamic allocations which is simple but comes in handy. The second is my favorite and is a Memory Pool manager. This thing is pretty swanky and I am fairly proud of it (but I want to note that the design came from Noel Llopis's C++ for Game Programmers). It allows you to allocate one big block of memory and break it into several slices which are then given out and returned to the block. This allows for fast allocation and releasing with no fragmentation. While I probably shouldn't be too concerened with this in my current program since its not super advanced, it was really nice to learn so much about what goes behind new and delete. I setup a pool for allocating messages in my game. So far the new zombie game demo allocates about 64k for messages at the start and lets it be for the remainder of the game. I haven't really noticed a perfomance increase but it is very reassuring to know where your memory is and how much is being used during runtime.

Been getting some good comments on the zombie game demo from Raj and Ryan Ellis. Once again, you can get the demo at :
http://www.naveennattam.com/nnattam/files/Zombpocalypse_0.0.zip



1 comment:

Jacob said...

OMG thats soo awsome!