Buter-ball-ninja

Being 24 and not having worked a real proffesional job before, I have few experiences where I can actually say that I worked super hard. This is one of those times.

As part of SGP (Structure of Game Production), our team had to generate two documents in about six days. The first one was a Code Architecture Doc that covered our entire system and the next was a detailed Game Doc that covered the rules for the game. My team (and when I refer to them as "my" team its only to make it easier to read this) did a stellar job. We worked ourselves to the bone and refused to take the "easy route" in all our work. The result was scoring a perfect on our first milestone. While this isn't truly an amazing achievement it did give the group a greatly needed burst of support.

We immediately began work on the next phase which is to develop three different tools and get them intergrated into a working build by the 30th. This is a daunting task and we have already got a schedule made that has us pulling 52 hour week. This is just enough time to get some sleep.
Today was the first official production day (the other maddening week being pre-production). I gave a little lesson on constructing and using DLLs in the simplest fashion in c++. We decided to go down this route to seperate the backbone systems as much as possible and allow for us to keep intergration from being a huge copying and pasting session with tons of .h and .cpp files flying around. We spent a good 3-4 hours with each of us writing our own dll that represented a mock-up of the code arch we had created earlier. Then we shoved them together into one intergration and it worked incredibly well. We decided to follow this process.

I have to say I am the luckiest guy in the world. My team is incredible. Dan and Nick are wilingly to put up with my need to push forward and try new things. They are incredibly supportive and realize how the next month and half are not going to be a picnic but a true excercise in giving it all you got. Being students, I could not have asked for anything better. We are not trying to be the best team in class, we are simply trying to be the best that we can.

Ambitions are high and tommorow is going to be another big day. I am responsible for setting up the Serialization system. Good thing I practiced.

No comments: