BSP

Man was I wrong to think I was done with collision :).

I've been doing a lot of research and taking notes on how BSP trees work for collision detection. Right now I've boiled it down to 2 types I'm interested in: Solid-Node (for concave shapes) and a tree that simply stores objects in the leaves. I'm not 100% solid on how the second kind sorts (lots of cases where a good partitioning plane has to be chosen) but I've got a good idea on how Solid-Node trees can be built. I'm gonna try this evening to start busting out the solid one and then with that exp, move on to the object-sorting one (for static objects). I was going to have a demo up where you could thrown some things around (I have one with boxes but I wanted Zombies :)). I'll try to have that up once I can get the world collision working (that is the solid-node tree). This may ultimately lead into quad trees but for now, I'll just work on basic static geometry partitioning with simple bsps.

On other notes, I've been playing a lot of Titan Quest : Immortal Throne recently. I picked up the expansion and have been enjoying it throughly. The new interface features make the game much easier to play and I've been trying a bit of Fire and Dream magic which works quite well (although I need to build up some "nuke" spells).

Classes are going okay. Software Architecture is a very neat course and is providing plenty of challenges, while DirectX is a slam-you-in-the-face course on syntax.

BTW, check out this reel at Animation Mentor. If Laura isn't working with the best, I don't know where the best are.

1 comment:

Laura "Sko" said...

Yeah the reel is pretty kick ass. I haven't submitted anything yet because I didn't have the time or resources to render stuff out at that point.. but I definitely will by next term (obviously, if I want to take ANYTHING with me to SIGGRAPH).

PS... I like trees :-)