And thats a wrap!

For roughly 6 months, I've been working on a 2D collision library. I arranged this project as my "continious side project" during school that I would keep working on as classes went by and my skills increased. It proved to be a great place to apply new techniques and perform my favorite task that is r&d. The library itself has gone through so many changes. First it was based on the most complex forms and included several small functions that came and went like children in an orphanage. I've finally widdled it down into a form that I am happy to say is fairly complete. Tweaks and changes will come (the golden rule of coding that I've gleamed from pros is that its never set in stone). So far it can support AABB, OBB, Circles, and Convex Hulls with point/plane/ray intersect tests as well as collision amongst those types. I've been developing some lite-weight physics code to go along with the system and I'm going to be putting together a demo that I actually want to put online shortly (aiming for Monday).

This of course is just the beggining. Now that the core is a little more solid, I can start working on some spatial partioning for things like world geometry. This will be a bit involved but is entirely build upon the library. Eventually a hiearachial partioning structure will be needed to help divide where objects are located to minimize tests.

I am very excited. Once the ground system is in, I'm going to put the partioning on the burner and work on a simple prototype showing off 2d navigation and implement a lot of the collision tests I've constructed. Hopefully this will be the demo I want by monday.

1 comment:

Laura "Sko" said...

You are so awesome. I should really start making an animation library. You're the reason in my life. You're the inspiration. Yeah. I wanna have you feel it. I wanna have you feel it baby. Time for some Elite Beat Agents?