Making it for me

Working solo on a project can be rather tiresome. The constant loop I find myself in is ultimately wanting to talk about my game all the time and giggle over all the little things can have been done and can be done to make it more awesome but realizing I have to force these conversations on my friends and family. If I was working with someone else, I'd imagine it'd be natural to be constantly excited with them. I tend hit my lowest points when this thought grows too strong - I simply enter the "wtf is this all about" phase. It is not fun.

I hit one of those on Sunday night after implementing all the upgrades. I was so excited about it and wanted to talk about it...but found myself sort of staring at the wall. That led to Monday which just sucked. Laura was being incredibly sweet to me - she made my favorite Mozzarella sandwich. I tried to be a little more cheerful to show I cared but was finding it difficult. So my sulking continued all the way till bed time. It was there that Laura said the most meaningful thing to me. I won't give the exact words but rough translation (to me) was "So, is this what your gonna do? Get up."

And I did.

New features coming to Combo Storm

  • Movement speed being modified based on how far away you are moving from your heading. This means you will go slower if you are firing and moving backwards.
  • Power Pads - these are fixed areas that when you come in contact will grant a boost. Right now the list has giving you a super powered weapon as long as you are in contact, a temporary speed boost, and am auto-turret.
  • New "Spawner" enemy type.
  • Very far down the road: an "AI Director" to drop in enemies at unexpected times
Good night and tell my wife thanks.

1 comment:

Mike Belotti said...

Since it's a side project, then yeah, you are making it for yourself first and foremost. I had similar times during the end of Rhythm Universe's dev cycle; I was, like, "what is this all for?" It's for your own satisfaction; to be able to say, "I did that."

And yeah, it's also hard when other people don't/can't share in those little gameplay design details... Feel free to continue bouncing stuff off your colleagues! We'll know what you mean when you say fancy things like "matrix" and "AI" and stuff~