Zombpocolypse

So I've only talked about it in passing in the last couple of posts but I am getting started on a new side project.



Zombpocolypse (working title) is a top-down shooter that has the player take on the role of a traveller who stumbles into the town of Everyplace. Your timing couldn't be worse. It seems a bizzare virus has swept over the town turning many of the locals into flesh-eating ghouls. After crashing your car, you find a crowbar and begin to fight your way through town and attempt to escape. Zombpocolypse takes place over several inter-connected levels (kind of like metroid). Each level is objective based with 3-4 objectives per map. These can range from cleaning out all the monsters to fetching items for NPCs. As players complete objectives, they will earn skill points they can spend on updgrading several weapons they will find and they will need to in order to survive the constantly mutating zombies. The game is intended for short, action-filled sessions ranging from 10-15 minutes.

So thats the pitch. Not exactly super snazzy but it helps to keep me focused. Right now I am actually spending most of my time with the editor. After going through my last class, I realized how useful a good tool is. It can really reduce a lot of the hard-coding that has to be done. I just finished giving the Map Editor the ability to create and save Navigation Graphs for monsters, etc. Next up is getting basic tile mapping working. From that point I am going to have to do some serious R&D on figuring out a good way to come up with objective editor.

1 comment:

Raj Nattam said...

Go Bob ! Go Bob !