And so it came to be....at GDC

Hey everyone. Yeah yeah, its been a long time. Shouldna left ya without a double beat..all that crap. So lets cut to the chase.

GDC was pretty amazing. I didn't end up attending a lot of presentations when I went. I focused my efforts on a job. The "dream" was get a job offer while at GDC but of course I would of just been happy with making some really good contacts. I don't have a good way to word it, but I walked away with a job. After hitting the Job Fair hard for two days, I ended up in an interview with WMS Games in Chicago. They develop high-end video slot machines. The interview itself was pretty crazy. There were four guys in there asking all kinds of programming and personal questions. After it was all said and done, I stepped outside and was looking at some of their machines they brought with them. I was about to leave officially but one programmer pulled me back for a second and asked me what I thought about the machines. I told him it was something I would definetly be interested in doing. He asked me to step over to the Recruiter who was there and he made me an offer on the spot.

I really don't know how to describe the feeling. I told them I was extremely interested (and I've accepted the offer at this point). I called Laura a few minutes later and I remember just saying "I just got a job." She started crying.

The craziest result of all this was what happened with the Full Sail staff. The Recruiter went over to the booth and told them about me and suddenly the whole staff knew about it. So I got congrats from teachers I hadn't talked to in months.

I've decided to stay and finish out school (I've gotten this far after all). I'm now in Final Project and I'm with a team putting together a breakout/pinball style game.

Damn. It all paid off, didn't it?

1 comment:

Laura Lu said...

i love them apples. :-)