The Times they are a changin

My adventures in becoming a game programmer have led me to learn more about myself then just technical-oriented stuff. I've learned a lot about myself as a person. I learned that my real passion is for technical oriented things because it fuels my love of creative works (games, movies, books, etc). I learned that when time is against you, you must divide and conquer and you must do it fast.

I'm not sure why I opened with that, I think its a note to myself really. Anyhoos, to the point! I've been working on Zombocolypse for a while now (roughly a month) and progress was sort of moving forward at a decent pace. The more I got into it however, the more I wanted to pull out. Making a shooter game should be a piece of cake. But for the love of everything holy, I don't like making it! I came to the realization that my real love for personal work is off the wall kind of experimentations. I used to do that all the time and I loved it so much. The shooter game has led to less and less of this and more frustration with my personal work. I spent the last couple of days after break rewriting my entire collision system to provide a much more interesting map making tool. This redesign caused me to rip apart and toss a lot of old code that I admit was poorly designed in the first place. Now I have an enviroment to create some fun experimental collision demos. This has effectively put a stop to Zombocolypse. Now I am going to venture into some more "experimental" gameplay.

People who have looked at my work have always like my collision-oriented stuff (springs, blobs) the most. This is stuff that I am more interested in ultimately and I'm going to make it my focus for my game. I am not sure what the game will be but I'm gonna keep it more focused in this "goofy" category and less action-oriented.

I think, I am ultimately trying to make a game Laura would play.

Next goal: get a demo where you drive a blob around a level. See ya then.

No comments: