You know how I made that post about this whole space ship game that I'm working on? Well that is sort of dead now. Let me explain.
The idea behind Spaceship is something I like but the more real point of doing this side project is to work on my design skills (and occasionally sharpen my programmer skills). The more I tried to figure out Ship the more I realized I simply wasn't that passionate about playing the game I aimed to make. So for now I'm tabling it.
While taking a break I started playing some shooter games and internally I started complaining about how the game was lacking clear focus for certain weapons/skills. It then hit me: I care a lot about that stuff. I'm a huge combat mechanics fan. I have a lot of ideas and things I want to see done. This is the idea that I should be doing! Oh past Naveen - you are so naive.
So here is a quick overview of what I'm trying to achieve with a project I'm just calling "Arena"
- Short, hand designed levels that last 5-10 minutes
- Small set of player abilities that force a distinct play style (think Overwatch in terms of numbers of abilities)
- Melee oriented combat - swinging wildly will achieve little or cost a lot from the player so using the abilities to take out enemies is critical. To be clear not Dark Souls style melee you just won't have a gun
- Fast moving character
- Low Health
- Stealth - able to use movement (double jump, slide) to have enemies lose sight of him momentarily
- Backstab - has a weak frontal attack that does very little damage but does huge amounts of enemies are hit from behind