Take a break and call me in the morning

Allright the plan to step away from bsp raycasting worked. I was able to tackle the problem in a new way and succeded. This time, every time I found errors, I quickly went to my notebook and analyzed the problem with drawings and realized elements were missing. If I could not get it, I forced myself to close the computer and sit somewhere else and analyze some more. All of this paid off. While it may seem trivial to intersect a ray into a BSP, I needed certain data from the intersection test that would allow smooth movement of my axis aligned bounding volume across the BSP's surface. This data proved difficult to get at first so that is why it took a lot more analysis then first thought.

Anyhoos, it works and I throughly documented it to understand why (for the most part) it works. There are a few places I had to fudge a bit but I made some notes on those.

So now we have a new problem, the BSP will not support rotating bounding volumes. So I will need to invest in other Spatial partioning structures for static world geometry. This will be used to perform more accurate SAT tests for contact pts, etc. However, the BSP will have it use for fast world-object collision tests.

Classes finished up here and I feel pretty confident on my results. On tuesday I start "Structure of Game Design" where we will make our first real game demo. My plan is to have my collision/physics system intergrated for use in the game we make. So I will need to double my efforts to get it up to snuff. So far the system has a few things I like about it, including a simple memory manager for individual systems. I want to get the Spatial Partioning for static structures and then one for dynamic objects. Paralell to developing that, I am going to start putting together a renderer for my system for DirectX. I am planning on making it 2d/3d so there will be plenty of hot billboarding action. It will be relatively simple, but hopefully it will come together in the end.

As for the demo I keep promising, I've decided to wait on that until the basic DX renderer is working and I have my spatial partionioning structures. Those two elements will be essential for the demo to run properly and be able to flex its muscle.

Now...time to research NON bsp THINGS! YEAAAH!

1 comment:

Laura "Sko" said...

I'm glad you actually took a break. You really needed one, ye know. Good thinking. ;)

;) more winkie guys here oughta do it ;) ;) ;)