Harry Potter and Double Dispatch for Collision

Before we begin, these two things have very little to do with each other.

I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter. I will make no apologies or hide that fact. The story is simply remarkable and contains all my favorite elements of a good tale. The characters are incredibly human and relatable, the fights are furious, the stakes are high, and the story is simple yet very deep. My love for the Potter story increased even more when I discovered the fantastically put together audio books by Jim Dale. His performance is incredible and their really is no audio book quite like it. If you don't like to read, the audio books serve as a far greater version of the books then the slowly failing movie series. I really hate the movies at this point. 1 and 2 followed fairly well and 3 was entertaining but was very devoid of important elements from the book and the 4th movie was a joke. The ending had been changed and all of the powerful tension that kept me up till four in the mornining was stripped clean. I have very low expectations for the fifth movie. The movies are in my head and they will stay there. Anyhoos, back to the point. The audio books are great way to "reread" the books while working. I've gottten into the habit of coding while listening and found it keeps me in a good mood.

Speaking of coding, I'm working on redoing much of the collision system in my code base. I'm about to start work on implementing AABB, OBB, and Circle based collision (which is odd cause you think I would of done that first :)). Right now my code pretty much supports convex hulls but this can be so much overhead for such a simple task. I am getting excited some at implementing these simpler collision methods and not relying 100% on my convex hulls to do everything. My interests in working on this system were increased when I stumbled upon the concept of Double Dispatch. Its pretty cool once you get a good example to help explain it to ya. One of these days I should post my notes to help anyone else out..but I am not to confident in my abilities as a teacher :). Anyhoos, I am excited to get these implemented into a simple platformer demo and see what happens.

Anyhoos, I would like to throw out some thx to Industry people who have been nice enough to listen to my ranting questions and give some solid guidance:

Raj Nattam
Steve Desilets
Ryan Ellis!
Jameson Dursall

1 comment:

Laura "Sko" said...

Why does Ryan get an apostrophe? Everyone else chopped liver???